Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Dickens in December: A Reading Event | #DickensInDecember2017

credit for Dickens image

In my bookish life, December is one of the most exciting months of the year (besides April—because of… you know… one particular genius French author I happen to love! 😎). I love organizing, and around December I used to organize my reading schedule for the next year. All with reading challenges that everyone is posting, anticipation of reading (and rereading my favorites), it makes December so full of excitement and anticipation!

There is another thing. Since two or three years ago, I have been cultivating a new habit of reading Dickens only in December. Why December? I don’t know… maybe because Dickens is always associated with Christmas—hey, he is “the man who invented Christmas”, right? Or maybe, December always gives the perfect mood for reading Dickens… do you feel it too?? Anyway, now, I always put a Dickens or two in my December entry for next year reading lists.

And then I thought….why not creating a reading event of Dickens every December, just like what I have been doing with Zola every April (Zoladdiction—if you haven’t been familiar with it)? That will be super cool! And so…. today I am proud to announce my new reading event:


DICKENS IN DECEMBER


Why is it cool?
Reading Dickens IS always cool… do you need any other reason to read him?

How can I participate?
Just by confirming in the comment box, or by copy-pasting URL of your blog post about your intention to participate.

Must I own a blog to participate?
No, you can use your goodreads or Twitter or Facebook or Instagram account, or even… you can just read silently without social media sharings. But please don’t go “anonymous” here; use your alias name, at least. I hate talking to ghosts… 😝

Must I post a sign up post, reviews, or wrap-up post?
It’s you choice. I know December can be hectic (so many reports to prepare, humbug!), and totally understand if you don’t have time to write posts. But if you’d care to share your reading plan with us on the comment box, we’d be thrilled! In my blog I will post a scheduled kick-off post on December 1st and wrap-up post around Christmas so that you can share your thoughts or feelings (or URL of your posts) if you’d like to, as often as you want! You can also share it via social media using hashtag #DickensInDecember2017. Don’t forget to tag me! 😉

So, what MUST I do?
Read, read, and read as many Dickensian book(s) as you can! (books by Dickens or about Dickens) 💓

Last but not least… to spice up the event…

Are you super-excited with the upcoming The Man Who Invented Christmas movie?? I AM!! Here’s the trailer if you haven’t seen it…


You can also share your thoughts on the movie (or any other Dickensian movies) for this event.

Yayyy! See you next month! 🎉


===== UPDATE====
Please submit your reviews/posts in the link-up post.



16 comments:

  1. In December, I usually read A Christmas Carol to my kids. But this year I have a copy of Stories for Christmas by Charles Dickens, and I will read at least one or several this December. So I'll do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am waiting for my copy of Dickens at Christmas to arrive, it should be on these days. So, I will also read a Christmas story or two besides Bleak House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About twenty years ago I did an in publication order read of the novels of dickens. Since starting my blog eight years ago I reread and posted on Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. I hope to reread Our Mutual Friend for Dickens in December, I recently am getting very into The Wasteland and Eliot considered using a quote from this novel as the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mel... that's an interesting idea, to read Dickens in publication order. Maybe we may see how he developed.
      Have fun with your upcoming reread! ^^

      Delete
  4. I would like to participate. Hopefully, I will be in England in January and I would also like to visit museums and/or houses connected to Dickens (and Wilkie Collins).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brontina, thanks for participating! And have a nice trip to England next year. We would love to hear about your visits to the museums!

      Delete
  5. Yes! I love reading Dickens in the winter. It has kind of become a yearly tradition. This December, I plan on reading Bleak House. I'm super excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intended to make Dickens in December a yearly tradition too! :) Right now I am also reading Bleak House, and loving it!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to reading some Dickens Christmas stories this December - Island Bookshelf

    https://islandbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/dickens-in-december.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, so glad you can join me. My Dickens at Christmas is also waiting for me; will read it soon after Bleak House.

      Delete
  7. Did I not post my "I'm in" comment? Regardless, I'm not only in, but I'm done. I read The Chimes - loved it.
    http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2017/12/christmas-tales-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't get into the comments, though...
      Anyway, thanks for joining. And I'll submit your link in the link up post for you. :)

      Delete

What do you think?